13 May 2007

I'm Proud of Myself

A small personal victory. You see, being raised in Asheville and having truly bigoted family members makes it difficult, sometimes, to do what is right when the racist jokes start flying around after a few beers--did I mention REDNECKS? At least this time it wasn't a family member, but the friend of one. I was at a gathering last night and one of they guys started telling a joke. He actually used the "N" word. I was appalled. As soon as I heard it I told him to stop the joke right there, that it was unacceptable. He continued the joke. I couldn't believe it. I told him again, more forcefully and then walked into the kitchen. He left the party 3 minutes later.

It may sound small and the obvious thing to do, but I don't think that I have ever actually told someone that it was unacceptable. I did the right thing and am proud.

Yay me.

No comments: