24 November 2007

Thanksgiving

I roasted my first turkey this year. Normally, I wouldn't do this, but my wacky dad said he couldn't get one pre-cooked so he brought one to me to roast. No problem. Except that it was a 20 pound bird!!!! I could barely lift it. My dad had trouble, too, but that was because he passed out while repairing the roof of the trailer and took a tumble. He bruised his ribs, shoulder and head. Stubborn old coot! 77 years old and on the roof of the trailer-house by himself! Well, we know where I get it from (may I remind you of the running of the lawnmower off of the hill last summer...oh and the jet-ski incident). But I will guarantee you that you won't find me repairing the roof of my trailer at 77. I'll find me a nice young man with 6-pack abs to do it for me. Hmmmmm.....where was I?

Oh, Thanksgiving. Everything turned out great. Then again, as long as there is meat on the table, most folks in my family are happy. And we had 20 lbs of Bird and 15 lbs of Pig. They were VERY happy. I made 2 lbs of asparagus thinking that I'd have a lot left over for myself. But, lo & behold! It disappeared almost as fast as the gravy! I thought I'd hear, "Aunt Connie always has weird food." But the kids are growing up and trying new things. It's about time. Considering they are in their late 20s and early 30s. It's a good thing I kept some back for myself. I will steam it up tomorrow to eat with my turkey soup.

So a good time was had by all and I am very thankful that we were together, healthy (Dad's healing up fine) and happy.

No comments: