24 June 2007

Being a Friend

I have a friend who seriously needs some therapy. She has absolutely no self-esteem and tries to fill herself up with food and objects. She's smart and funny but never seems to be satisfied with her life. And when it doesn't work out the way she thinks it should, she changes her surroundings...not herself. I am constantly amazed at how it is always someone else's fault. She has so much pain inside that she lives in constant fear of letting it go...she's had it for so long what would she be then? I think it's part of her identity and if that pain goes away she wouldn't know what to do with herself. The worst part, for me, is that I only hear from her when she's alienated everyone else in her life or the people in her life aren't telling her what she wants to hear. It can be so frustrating. I have told her more than once that she needs therapy and she always finds excuses as to why it won't work for her...it's because she leaves as soon as they start getting at the truth. I truly wish she could find some help and find a way to be happy. And I know that I can't find it for her. It really breaks my heart.

No comments: